11th September of 2001, a dark day in the history of United States of America. At this day, the proud skyscrapers of the World Trade Center complex were attacked with two of the Boeing 767 which were hijacked by the Al-Qaeda affiliated hijackers. This terrifying attack took lives of 2763 people including the 157 passengers in both aircrafts and people within the area of the complex. In the morning of 11th September 2001, the hijackers flew the plane into the north and south tower within the difference of minutes which after hours led the two towers to collapse. After the attack it becomes one of the major concerns of the Govt. to pay attention to the 9/11 victims claim by raising a fund.
September 11th VCF or Victim Compensation Fund:
The September 11th VCF or Victim Compensation Fund was created with a view to providing compensation for any individual or a personal representative of deceased person. The fund helped not only the people who got killed but also who faced any kind of physical suffering as a result of the terrorists attack in World Trade Center that took place on 11th September in 2001.
President Obama on January 2, 2011, signed into law the Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010. The September 11th Compensation Fund was reactivated by the title II of the Zadroga act. In October 2011 the reactivated Victim Compensation Fund was opened and authorized to operate for the duration of five years that ended in October 2016. President Obama signed a bill which reauthorizing The James Zadroga Health and Compensation Act of 2010 on December 18, 2015.
The reauthorization of Victim Compensation Fund was included in it. The VCF was extended for five more years by the law and allowed an individual to submit their claim until December 18, 2020. Some important changes were also included by the law in the VCF’s policies and procedures for evaluating claims and each claimant’s loss.
Online line claim form procedure:
Though a hard copy version of the claim form is available for the 9/11 victims claim, the fund is encouraging the claimant and victims to submit their claims using the new online claim system. By using the system they can –
- The victim and claimant can create an account and register with the Victim Compensation Fund to preserve their right to file a claim in the future.
- They can complete and submit the claim form.
- They can file an amendment to a previously submitted claim by following some instructions.
- They can also upload supporting documents to a claim.
- They can have a view of correspondence sent by the Victim Compensation Fund (VCF)
- They can update their contact information of the information of their attorney or authorized representative.
- They can also view the information they provided when completing their claim form which includes any information they may have entered on a claim form that they started but have not yet submitted.
The September 11th VCF or Victim Compensation Fund was definitely an appreciated step of the Govt. of the United States of America for 9/11 victims claim. Though the damage and loss the victims and their families have faced was not equivalent to any compensation, but still, the USA govt.’s initiative deserved the applause of appreciation.